Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Witch Child

Celia Rees


"Enter the world of young Mary Newbury, a world where simply being different can cost a person her life. Hidden until now in the pages of her diary, Mary’s startling story begins in 1659, the year her beloved grandmother is hanged in the public square as a witch. Mary narrowly escapes a similar fate, only to face intolerance and new danger among the Puritans in the New World. How long can she hide her true identity? Will she ever find a place where her healing powers will not be feared?"




My Take:

Witch Child definitely accomplishes what it sets out to do. It creates a world of paranoia, and eerie small mindedness that makes you feel claustrophobic in a way you have never imagined. The pace was excellent, the content excellent, the writing excellent. I felt the main character was very relatable, which is a challenge as she is a possible witch from hundreds of years ago. I think that many a teen girl can relate to being an outsider, whatever the circumstances. I think Witch Child is also a very good read for anyone trying to get a good feel of the time period. So if you are a teacher that is teaching about this particular time period, I would recommend this as good reading material for your class. I give this book a good solid 2, Use a Coupon at Borders.

Need more Historical Fiction? The Perfect Royal Mistress, Too Great a Lady,
Pride and Prejudice, Nefertiti, Abundance, Witch Child


Looking for some love that's a little more modern? Its About Your Husband

Do you agree with my review? Do you think I'm totally off base? I'd love to hear about it either way! Be sure to comment and tell me how you feel!

If this book were a movie it would likely be rated PG.  There are references to a unwed pregnancy, but no details.  There is also a hanging.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails