Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red


Rose Red is the setting for Stephen King's ABC mini-series by the same name. At the turn of the century, Ellen Rimbauer, the young bride of Seattle industrialist John Rimbauer, began keeping a remarkable diary.








My Take:

"The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer" gave me the Heebeejeebees, but in an awesome way. It chronicles Ellen Rimbauer's descent into madness and her depressing marriage, which accounts for most of her madness. I have never read a book which more fully makes you understand why someone would go so crazy. If you read just the beginning and just the end, you can see just how eccentric Ellen got, and the contrast is startling, but, when you read it page by page, it just makes so much sense. Living with such a horrible person, who gives you some sort of sexually transmitted disease (which may have caused much of her madness), plus living in a spooky house that may want to kill you (whether out of love or hatred it is difficult to say) would make anyone crazy. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good creepy book. It never really explains why the house is the way it is, because it is Ellen's diary and she herself never truly gets it either. I can't decide between a rating of a 2 or a 3, so if horror is your thing, its a 2, Use a Coupon at Borders, if horror isn't your thing (its not really mine either, and I still enjoyed the book) you should definitely check it out anyway, just Get it at a Used Book Store

Do you agree with my review? Or do you think I am totally off base? Either way I'd love to hear what you've got to say. Be sure to leave me a comment and tell me how you feel!

Like the Supernatural? Check out Witch Child

Looking for something with a bit more action to it? See The Book of Names or The Lake House

If this book were made into a movie, it would likely be rated R for strong sexual content and violence.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails