Friday, April 27, 2012

National Hairballball Awareness Day

Well folks, it's that time of year again!  Break out the tuna flavored hairball medicine you have to glop onto your cats paw because it's National Hairball Awareness Day!  Now I hardly think that hairballs need an "Awareness Day".  I mean, yes hairballs can be a serious issue if you are a cat owner, but I'm pretty sure if your cat has hairball problems, you are plenty aware of the situation; no alotted day is necessary.  Anywho...in honor of this um...holiday? The Book Buff is featuring some famous fictional felines, starting with...



The Cheshire Cat from Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

"`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Alice didn't think that proved it at all; however, she went on `And how do you know that you're mad?'
`To begin with,' said the Cat, `a dog's not mad. You grant that?'
`I suppose so,' said Alice.
`Well, then,' the Cat went on, `you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad.'"




Crookshanks from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

We all hated him.  His bad attitude and his ugly face made for a pretty unlikable combination.  But then we got to know the ugly little devil, and when his half kneazle side helped us learn the identity of the true traitor, we all hated that squash faced animal a little less.  




The Cat in the Hat from The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

Honestly, I was never a big fan of this guy, he just seemed like a big ol' troublemaker to me.  I do love Dr Seuss though, I mean, who doesn't, right?  Hop on Pop was my own personal favorite of Seuss, that is until I actually jumped on my poor unsuspecting father as he innocently lay on the ground.  He banned that book for a while, and I can't say as I blame him :)



 
The cats of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Elliot

I think the awesome names of the cats alone are enough to make this book worth mentioning.  You've got Mungojerrie, Rumpelteazer, Old Deuteronomy, Mr. Mistoffelees, Macavity, and Skimbleshanks. 


Did I miss your favorite literary feline?  Hit the comments to inform me of my egregious error!

1 comment:

Bea said...

How did I miss National Hairball day? WHY is there a National Hairball Day? LOL

Fun post, thanks :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails